Making your own chocolate bars is so easy, and you can guarantee that your guests will love them.
The recipe here is for adult chocolate bars with dark chocolate and salty peanuts – but if you really can’t bear to go without milk chocolate, you can make them with milk, just use less butter otherwise they will be really soft. You can vary the fillings to suit your taste, I like glace cherries in mine, but you can also use crystallised ginger, caramelised nuts, slices of Cherry Ripe, M&Ms etc.
250g dark chocolate (try to use at least 70% cocoa) in small pieces
5 tablespoons butter (or dairy free spread)
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 to 2 cups of salted peanuts (the salt is essential – it brings out the flavour of the chocolate)
1 small pack of glace cherries
270g Crunchie bars, Dark Violet Crumble, or honeycomb chopped into small pieces
1. In a double boiler (or a bowl over a saucepan of water), melt the chocolate, butter and honey together. Do this gently and if you are using a bowl over water, don’t let the bowl touch the water.
2. While this is happening line a standard loaf tin with baking parchment. If you don’t have a loaf tin, you can use any container – a tupperware tub will do.
3. Put the glace cherries in a sieve and pour boiling water over them to remove the sticky coating. After a few minutes, run cold water over them to cool them down and dry them off well.
4. In another bowl combine the peanuts and the honeycomb, then add the glace cherries.
5. Once the chocolate/butter/honey has melted, take it off the heat and add the
nut/honeycomb/cherry mix. Stir well with a spatula.
6. Transfer to your lined container and pack it down well with the spatula, then chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
7. When ready to serve, remove from the fridge and slice using a very sharp knife.
The bars make a really nice after dinner treat to serve your guests with coffee.
Leave a Reply