Another variation on the brownie theme is the orange flavoured brownie. I first tasted one of these at Mooba coffee bar when it used to be in Subiaco, and it was very memorable. This recipe is enough to fit in a standard loaf tin.
100g butter or dairy free spread
100g of dark chocolate such as Lindt 70% or 80%
the zest of an orange (pick a nice deeply orangey coloured one, not a pale one)
50g plain flour
a pinch of salt
25g cocoa powder
50g of chopped orange flavoured chocolate such as Lindt Orange Intense
1. Line a loaf tin with baking parchment and set the oven to 180 degrees C.
2. In a small saucepan gently heat the butter or spread, chocolate and orange zest to melt it. Once melted, cool it slightly but don’t let it go too stiff.
3. In a bowl whisk the eggs and sugar until the colour goes pale and the volume doubles.
4. In another bowl sift and mix the flour, salt and cocoa together.
5. Add the cooled melted chocolate to the whisked egg and sugar mixture, keep whisking as you add. If the chocolate is too hot, the eggs will scramble, so make sure that the chocolate mix is cooled as much as possible without going stiff.
6. Stir in the flour, salt and cocoa mixture.
7. Stir in the chocolate orange pieces.
8. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin, tap the tin to make sure that the mixture gets to the corners.
9. Bake for approx 35-40 minutes. It should be slightly gooey in the centre.
Once cool(ish) slice into pieces and share with only your very best friends.